There’s an amazing range of items that can be kept in a self storage container. We’ve seen Christmas trees, hovercraft, film props, mud kitchens and much more!
However, do you know which items are often not allowed to be kept in self storage?
The exact list depends on the specific self storage company, but generally, you will not be able to store any of the following in your container:
- Food or anything else perishable unless it’s securely packed so it can’t attract vermin
- Domestic animals, fish, birds and all other living creatures
- Anything combustible or flammable, such as gas canisters and compressed gas, tins of paint, cans of petrol or oil, and cleaning solvents
- Any type of firearm, ammunition, and explosives
- Radioactive material, biological agents, and certain chemicals
- Any kind of toxic waste, asbestos in any form, and any other potentially hazardous materials
- Anything that emits fumes, a smell or odour
Can you add to our list of unusual items? If you’re not sure if it’s possible to store something, we are always happy to advise.